We're thrilled to back at the Cary Arts Center on March 27 for another wonderful concert. Brief descriptions of the pieces we'll be playing can be found below.
- Cindy McTee — Notezart
A mashup of brief Mozart quotes, Renaissance-style melodies, and contemporary harmony.
- Carlos Simon — Sweet Chariot
Beautiful work based on the spiritual, and in this case woven together with fragments of Gregorian chant.
- Aaron Copland — I Bought Me a Cat
- Omar Thomas — Of Our New Day Begun
We were working on this piece in February 2020 before we shut down for Covid. This is a powerful work based on another spiritual.
- Zhou Tian — Seeker's Scherzo
Tian teaches at Michigan State and has also been composer-in-residence at Juilliard. This short piece combines some traditional effects with experimental ones, and is based on the third movement of his Concerto for Orchestra.
- Aaron Copland — Zion's Walls
- Vaclav Nelhybel — Symphonic Movement
One of the warhorses of the wind band repertoire, though it doesn't get played much these days. If you've heard any Nelhybel before you'll recognize the intensity in this one.
- Mike Holober — Wheels on the Bus